Last weekend the ambulance received an audio upgrade. It still had the original 1986 cassette deck which kind of worked, but not well. The door speakers were trashed, having little range or push left. It was barely audible with the engine running, just overall poor sound quality.
There's a lot of electrical inside this machine. It took some time to disassemble the front control panel to view the wiring and run continuity tests to identify all the wires and where they went.
At first, I wanted to keep a cassette deck in the dash. But I happened across a cheap, used Bluetooth receiver for $10 on eBay. Then I went to Amazon and found a pair of Pyle full-range 5.25” front speakers for $25.
We didn’t need the best speakers, just better ones.
Installing the new speakers required disassembling the door panels and drilling new holes for the speaker mounts.
While the door was in pieces, I did some cosmetic work to update the old brown interior with a black, blue accent look.
We still have a lot of work to do, but this initial $35 upgrade made a huge difference. Now it sounds great!